Saturday, November 20, 2004

Kiasu, Kiasi & Kiamsiap...!

Ok, what is 3K all about? I overheard a conversation during my lunch and came across the most ironic sarcasm I have ever heard, which is 3K! 3K stands for “Kiasu, Kiasi, Kiamsiap!” When people define you as 3 K, it apparently means you are “Afraid to Lose”, “Afraid to Die” and “Selfish”.

Tracing back the background and history of these 3 special words, “Kiasu” and “Kiasi” apparently come from Singapore. This probably stems from the common notion that Singaporeans are very competitive and they do not want to lose their competitiveness on the international platform, further enhanced by their status as a first world country. Their self-esteem is high.

However, “Kiamsiap” is very different. It comes from Penang (if I am not mistaken). I personally have to admit that there is some truth that comes from the usage of this term. It explains the slow growth of branded shoplets in Penang as compared to the increasing number of ‘mamak stalls’!

I had a conversation with one former national badminton player who is venturing into the nutrition product and sport accessories business. He is from Penang. He related his experience in executing sales in Penang and Kuala Lumpur. “I have to admit that the price of my product is steep, because it is a high end nutrition product. I sell at RM 36 per capsule. For my friend in Penang, even though he is very rich, RM 36 is too expensive for him, and he is not willing to the spend money, even though he spent hundreds of dollars purchasing birds nest products. Besides, in K.L, I can sell more than 200 capsules (the least) in a month, and they buy in bulk. They never complain though,” he said. So beware if you are being called ..3K...

No comments: