Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Prince: The Interview...

I received a called from Jen International (a well-known Recruitment Agency) for an interview with Ericsson at Cyberjaya for Marketing Research Position. However, I also got to know that the HR manager in Ericsson has already had a candidate with him; seeing me is merely a comparison for who should be recruited. Nevertheless, I still went for the interview. Surprisingly, he earned my respect at the first 10 minutes of the interview because he is able to interpret my current situation and my thought by just looking at my resume and expectation. This is supposed to be an interview but turned out to be a personal sharing with the manager instead.

He characterised me as a bird looking for a couple of wing to fly; an opportunity where I can grow; unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find one. He is frank in his statement, and saying that this position requires extensive travelling and servicing clients from south-east-Asia. Thus, it may serve like my wing, and allows me to spread wide and fly. However, he also afraid that I may not be able to cope with the workload, and most importantly, he can foreseen I will experience a difficult learning curve, because I do not have any experience in telecommunication industry; so at the end I was rejected. I tried to persuade him, but he continuously gave me reason after each convincing persuasion I have given him. He also admitted his scepticism on my commitment due to my job-hopping experience. However, I tried to persuade to him that it is time when I want to settle down in my career, and more crucially, I must be cautious in my career selection. I shared with him on my view about Ericsson, at which I perceive Ericsson as a MNC who treats employee as company greatest assets; I managed to convince him about my commitment and responsibility to a ‘reputable-company’.

However, he moved on explaining that I have been into a wrong industry; he perceived Education Industry as a stagnant industry; while telecommunication industry is a fast-changing industry. Thus, he will keep my resume in view at the moment, and will call me if there’s any ‘junior’ vacancy around for marketing research department. Before I left, he looked into my resume and advised me to delete any career background with less than one year experience, and he also advised me to jump-out of Education industry (which I am already trying to do so). In addition, he complimented my personality, ambition, and my past experience, but also commented that I had moved hastily from career to career.

3 comments:

Dilip Mutum said...

I disagree with the guy's assertation that the "Education Industry as a stagnant industry". Educational institutions also have to innovate to attract their customers.

Teaching/ lecturing is a noble profession. Though if you are looking for money, it might not be the right place. I might be wrong as I know of a lot of lecturers who have left institutions to set up their own companies and vise versa. Some of the top business schools in US count industry captains among their teaching staff.

Dr.Prince (王子- 陳琮祐) said...

Adam,
yes, it is hard to justify. Personally I would think Education Industry is competitive in nature. But, sometimes, no matter how persuasive you are, people just don't get it. =)

buzybee said...

I guess it depends on what you want in life. The recruiter's advice is a practical one, yet it does not look at what your career goal is. Perhaps you need to re-examine than on your own.

The demand for better education is growing everywhere with knowledge explosion. As long as there are children being born, education is needed. But being an educator requires a passion for it, not anyone can be one. If you have it, use it.

Wish you all the best. :)