Saturday, January 29, 2005

What an Acquiantance...

I must admit that studying and working at the same time, isn’t please at all. A part from having a tiring day, I almost lose my time for leisure. Fortunately, I still have time to get sweat!

When I was jogging today, I came across someone, who I innocently thought he might be an angel from god. I was resting at the lakeside after the long-distance jog, and someone hailing on me. He was an Indian guy at his late forties, I believe. Here was the conversation.

“Do you like fishing?”, he asked

“Yeah, kind of”, I answered with puzzle

“It is a very fascinating scene, the air is so fresh”, he expressed

“I agree with you though”, I answered again with puzzle, with concern that he might be a drug addict.

“Come closer, let’s have a chat”, he suggested

I pondered for a while, and walked forwards, and sat down besides him.

“My name is Karma, what about you?”, he asked

“I am Steve, you can call me ‘Tan’ if it is too difficult for you to remember”, I answered politely

“Where are you from? You do not look like local, you speak a different slang. What is your job, and where do you study?” he asked

“I just came back from Paris, I went to Australia & France last week”, he continued with his fancy talk and with many questions before I was able to think of the answer.

“Oh, I am local; I did my Degree in Penang, and currently working in a private University as a Public Relations Executive. It is great that you are able to travel around the world, what do you do then”, I asked with suspicious because he looked more like a drug addict to me, with his attired, short pants, slipper and a shattered T-shirt.

“I am sailor” he answered, and that explained why he got to travel around the world. The funny issue is, he asked for my name again. “What is your name again’, he asked, and I suspect that he might be drunk, but, acted calm and sober. Politely, I answered his question, mention my name to him with annoyance.

“You know what, I do not like fishing, here is the scenario, if you fall down the sea, the fish will eat you, and then, you are fishing and eat the fish. What can be better if you just don’t fish! Do you understand what I am saying?”, he related with his though.

As a matter of fact, I don’t understand a word! But, I nodded, acting as if I understand, just to avoid his disappointment and his long explanation again.

I pondered again, a drug addicted can’t possibly speak such fluent English with me, and perhaps he is really a sailor after all. I tried to continue our conversation and asked, “I have seen many who come here to fish, but they seem disappointed at the end of the day because they have just a little catch”.

“I do not believe it that, you should know, it is just like fisherman though. They have such a greedy though that they want a good catch each time, but they only come back with an average catch. This is because god wants to keep the rest for other fisherman, if they have a good catch every day, they will tend to go out more often and leave only a little for the rest of the group. It is fairness that counts”, he explained.

I ponder again, and I realize that he might be right to certain extent. He might not be drunk though. Meanwhile, it was getting late, and I can feel the mosquito, flying around my body just to get a taste of my blood. I quickly made a move with an excuse.

He tried to keep me there, asking me to talk to him for a while, just to keep him accompanies, but I insisted that I should go.

He looked at me for a while, and said okay and then, he advised, “Young man, remember one thing, not to believe in any one, but you, you need to make your own choice sometimes, good luck to you okay”.

I thought I understand the whole conversation ostensibly, but, practically, I can’t possibly figure out what was it all about. However, I did learn something about fisherman theory today!

No comments: